Water leaking from auto air vent Halstead Ace high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Earlier this week I noticed that the pressure on my boiler was zero. I filled it to 1 bar and then heard some dripping which became a steady stream out of the bottom left corner of the boiler.

I opened it up and the water is coming out of the small plastic pipe which links the auto airvent to the outside of the boiler. This is the first time I have opened the boiler up (House bought less than a year ago) and there is a rusty area which corresponds to where the water is running down which seems to suggest it has been leaking for a while. To be honest during the winter I was having to top it up fairly regularly.

There have been no issues with the boiler and even on zero pressure it has been supplying hot water - obviously central heating hasn't been tested due to the season.

My question is - Will this likely just be a replace the auto air vent? Should this solve the leak?

Research shows that a lot of these auto air vents have a small cap like a tyre's dust cap, but mine doesn't - just this small pipe which is open at the end -which is where the water escapes from.

Is the repair a simple job for a DIY-er?

Thanks very much in advance. Images attached for reference.

Sponsored Links
The auto air vent is easily replaced, but you should not be accessing the combustion chamber yourself. For safety, get it done by someone who can do all the required checks afterwards.

Mmmm, I agree. You shouldn't have even attempted to open the combustion case. It maybe a water carrying part but you're not qualified to crack the combustion covers seal.

First point of call when it comes to a boiler is find the yellow pages or get onto google and find a company or engineer that'll fix it for you. By time you'd attempted to fix this you could have caused more damage than good, plus endangered yourself and family :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back