Water leaking from down pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I was wondering if someone could help me. Everythime we have a shower or bath, water is leaking from down pipe by the seal. What would you advice us to do? Reseal the pipe?

Attachments

• 20150819_170526(1).jpg
    20150819_170526(1).jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Looks like you have a coupler that's leaking and may need that section looked at, the pipe above it may need lifted to get access to the coupling and reseal, would recommend getting a professional in to investigate.

Sponsored Links
On a second look I think it's a piece of Pitch Fibre which was the wonder pipe for underground drains in the 60's . Now I know a large number of houses in Hailsham, E.Sussex (assuming your location is correct) have this pipe used for soil/vents. And on the outside of houses they look like black bananas on the walls with grey streaks where the joints leak ! Am I anywhere near with my deductions?

That'll be a man with local knowledge :)

I seem to remember that pitch fibre was mentioned in the HSE asbestos notices, or am I wrong?

You are right, we are living in East Sussex in a maisonette. What do you think we should do?

Well if you feel confident and there is not anyone else's toilet going into the pipe - you could cut the pipe say 1metre above the ground ( with a cheap woodsaw) then pull it out from the ground carefully. Replace with a length of black plastic and an adapter into the underground pipe- then a fernco rubber joint ( comes with 2 jubilee clips built in to tighten ) on the join between the plastic and pitch fibre. All this kit can be bought at Wickes. It' not going to look pretty but it's a lot cheaper than replacing the whole soil pipe . BUT you might have some limited luck with a gutter seal ( in a mastic gun tube)

My pipe is not a sewer pipe though. Is it still possible it is a Pitch Fibre? Can i just not replace the seal?

I would also wonder if there is a blockage further down.

But regardless, its probably going to be necessary to cut the pipe above as detailed above.

But then use a hose to fill the pipe to see if it is blocked further down.

Tony

Last edited:
My pipe is not a sewer pipe though. Is it still possible it is a Pitch Fibre? Can i just not replace the seal?
Can you send a picture of what it is from a distance - I was guessing from what I could see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back