Water leaking from white pipe going into radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have water dripping from one of the white flexi pipes going into the metal valve that's connected to the radiator.
When I move the white pipe slightly, more water starts to drip out. The other side with the trv is fine and I turned it to zero.
How can I stop the leak until I can a plumber tomorrow?

Also, may be related, earlier today I had the heating on (combi). The boiler was making loud clunking noises. Later on in the day I had the hot water for a few minutes, after I turned off the tap the boiler had an error code, slow flashing zero. I turned off the boiler, then turned on again few minutes later, and tried the hot water again. As it was on, I observed the pressure going down slowly, and that's when I noticed the leak on the radiator. I think this radiator is closest to the boiler.

I just want to stop the leak until tomorrow. Can anyone help with advice.

I attach a photo of it.
Screenshot_20160310-204646_1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unlikely a plumber has installed that mess, I reckon there,s no insert in the plastic tube or its not home properly.
The clunking coming from the boiler will be lack of water loss of pressure.
Try grasping the plastic tube and pushing into the valve if that don,t work its a drain down and proper job doing.

I tried to push in the white pipe further. It will go in about 2mm but then come out, there's nothing to keep it from staying in, the drips come out more when I touch it.
From my picture, i removed the white plastic lid with a screw in the top. I've clockwise turned the brass square thing that the screw went into, a couple of times but it didn't seem to affect anything. If I keep turning will it stop the leak?
The flat is a 2008 new build.

Typical cheap plastic piped new build.

But then no one wants to pay me the extra for proper pipework done in copper!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Shutting the valve won't stop the leak. By the sound of it, the joint is close to failing completely - put something under it to catch any leaks a shallow container and a few towels or polythene sheet under towels and call a heating engineer in the morning. Might be worth checking if your insurer offers a no charge emergency cover response.

Typical cheap plastic piped new build.

But then no one wants to pay me the extra for proper pipework done in copper!

Tony

That's really helpful Tony - just what a customer (in trouble, through no fault of their own) needs to hear at half nine in the evening.

Thanks @newboy, I'll put a shallow tray underneath for overnight and call someone in the morning. I guess it will leak until there's no water in the system.
I'll update this thread about how it was fixed.

Not enough for what I was going to suggest.
Let us know what happened.

Something under the leak until it stops, if you can turn off all the rads then that'll help with minimising water loss. It should slow if not stop once the pressure is released

Note the number of turns to shut off the valves like the one in your pic, so you can re-open them to the same point once it's fixed.

The plumber came yesterday and after isolating the rad, simply pushed the white pipe further into the housing so that it stays in. He also bled it and made the drain hole easier to access. This also explains why I had slow pressure drop over the last few months.
Thanks for the tips earlier everyone, appreciate everyone's time to respond.

Why do you think he was able to push it further in when you could only do 2 mm?

Tony

He removed the valve from the radiator with only the white pipe connected, so was able to get more movement out of it.
It would have been beyond my knowledge and experience to remove the valve, but now I know how it works, I can do this in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back