Water leaking in basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a very old basement, that I think is waterproofed near the end. Just noticed today that water is leaking in from the ceiling, which has a kind of hole with some sort of metal object attached to it (rusty and wrapped in plastic), seems that water leaks around that metal object. Could anyone help me to identify what that thing is, and whether there is a way to fix it?

Many thanks.

20191013_122347.jpg 20191013_130153.jpg 20191013_130226.jpg 20191013_130235.jpg

Sponsored Links
your picture is terrible, but I think it is a coal-hole.

Go and look outside, above that spot. It is probably near the front path, and would be where the coalman used to tip sacks of coal into the cellar. It probably has a round iron lid that is worth good money, though some idiot might have buried it under earth or even paving.

It's a coal chute lid. Maybe visible outside on the pavement, maybe covered up by the council

that coal hole recess in the cellar, is it below a walkway or steps into the front door?

off page:
but the top pipe looks like a lead pipe vulnerable to freezing, and the plastic pipe is also open to freezing.
they could both benefit from insulation or best to replace with new clipping arrangements.
the unhealthy lead could be abandoned and replaced with a plastic pipe from shut-off to stop-tap.

note: if the outside coal chute cover is indeed covered over then the outside shut-off might also have been covered over with,typically, asphalt?

Sponsored Links
That's amazing, thanks for the replies (didn't know such a thing exsists). I found iron lid, hidden under the door mat.

@bobasd that top pipe is actually the incoming eletricity that connects to the meter.

valuable original feature. Keep it. Is water for some reason collecting on the lid?

photo would be nice

jamborta, good evening.

Agree it looks like a "Coal Hole" found in higher end properties, the coal dumped in there would be picked up by the maids and distributed around the entire property, all [or most] "major rooms, including Bedrooms" had them, who would need Central heating? plus the ventilation effect back in the day, Georgian / Victorian assisted to keep the property relatively Dry.

As stated, nice feature, If it were me I would try to keep in tact.

Not answering your original question? why is such an old bit of kit wrapped in plastic? how long have you owned the property? it appears that at some time the lid has been removed, wrapped and re-fitted? it is possible the water is "tracking" down between the old cast iron and the plastic??

Ken

I'll certainly keep it. We have moved in only a few months ago, and this is the first time it rains for a longer period of time.

I have removed the plastic wrap, but the lid itself is not sufficient to keep the rain out. Wondering how it was done by the Victorians?

20191013_225231.jpg

That lid has corroded and decayed - not surprising - those round holes would have most likely had thick glass set in them

jamborta, good evening.

Is the lid subjected to foot traffic?

One way of sealing the holes?? clean them thoroughly [power wire brush correct shape] and then use modeling acrylic to fill, if you place something over the underside of the holes, then mix and place the Acrylic into the holes? different pigments are available? Probably not a permanent fix but may assist? Modern Acrylics are at times very robust?

Ken.

That lid has corroded and decayed - not surprising - those round holes would have most likely had thick glass set in them

The holes are actually supposed to be there and were actually for ventilation, with the obvious downside being the ingress of rainwater. I can't remember the size of these but they were designed to be large enough for a sack of coal but too small for somebody to climb down (to deter would-be thieves). There are suppliers of original replacement ones who supply the frame and cover.

If you're interested in your house history OP, it'd be worth looking on Census returns and the 1939 register to see what the former owners of your house did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back