Water leaking in under door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During the last few days of heavy rain, water has been leaking in under our 24 year old metal back door and because of our location, getting a tradesman in is not an option. Perhaps someone could give me an idea of how I should tackle the problem.

Sponsored Links
Early riser, good evening.

Any chance of some images please? Say an overall external inside and external, and a few of the door threshold?

Ken.

Will do when weather permits. Meanwhile, thanks for your intake.

sand bags?
fill some plastic bags with dirt if no sand.

And tackle it with a mop.

Sponsored Links
sand bags?
fill some plastic bags with dirt if no sand.

And tackle it with a mop.
Thank you for your reply but at the moment, even in the heaviest of rain, the seepage is just enough to saturate a small hand towel. That said, if it got any worse I do have plenty of sand to hand.

Didn’t think my door looked so bad!

Attachments

• C0F90C86-29B3-47E4-ABE5-9D74F1079B61.jpeg
    C0F90C86-29B3-47E4-ABE5-9D74F1079B61.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 4397645E-6C48-4018-BC5F-48879BBEC380.jpeg
    4397645E-6C48-4018-BC5F-48879BBEC380.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 189
It's what is on the outside of the door that keeps water out - wide photos are needed of the outside!

It looks at though there's some sort of rubber gasket on the underside of the door? Depending on age/wear etc, this has possibly degraded to such as extent that water ingress is now an issue. Assuming that's what's creating the seal between door underside and threshold, it needs replaced.

It looks at though there's some sort of rubber gasket on the underside of the door? Depending on age/wear etc, this has possibly degraded to such as extent that water ingress is now an issue. Assuming that's what's creating the seal between door underside and threshold, it needs replaced.

You're bang on! Found the rubber strip has torn in half and therefore allows water to ingress. Where can I buy these?

Didn’t think my door looked so bad!
On the exterior photo I can see that there is a gap between the metal part that forms the outside of the door and the inner layer. Would I be better replacing the door?

On the exterior photo I can see that there is a gap between the metal part that forms the outside of the door and the inner layer. Would I be better replacing the door?

Judging by the look of it - yes, most definitely if you can afford it!

You might be able to source a replacement seal from a double glazing dealer, or maybe ebay, but you are unlikely to find an exact match for it because it is so old. Take the strip out as a sample to measure, it will probably pull out from one end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back