water leaking into toilet bowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted a new thomas Dudley siphon and flow unit. Converted to single flush and had to remove the flow restrictor. There seems to be a constant but very slow gentle stream of water continuing to flow into the back of the toilet bowl. Why is this? There is no additional water being added to the cistern and the float is shutting off the water.

any ideas. this is my first plumbing job and I was quite proud up until this point

Sponsored Links
If you mean syphon (siphon is American English) as below
mid_product_HPDSY8725.jpg

There are a couple of possibilities.

1) Water is reaching the top of the syphon pipe and overflowing. The float needs altering to drop the water level.
2) If its a close coupled suite water could be leaking through where the syphon is fitted to the pan. Check that the syphon is tightened properly. Might need a new donut washer. (In this instance donut is English English)

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I guess I spelt it incorrectly. I am a beginner and a girl :oops:

1) which is the top of the syphon pipe - is it the blue flat part in your diagram? I have the cistern filled to the 6l mark which just covers over the piston/c ring attachment

2) this is possible as it is a close coupled toilet. is donut the big rubber washer. I have reused the one that was already there so it could be the issue.

another thing. Since I have replaced the workings of the toilet, it is now too hard for the children to flush!

Sponsored Links
These syphons can only pass water to the bowl if the water level in the cistern is too high (up to the blue bit) or it isn't making a good seal between the syphon and the bottom internal moulding of the cistern base.
Either way, the water fill valve will still be allowing water in.
Regarding the doughnut washer - if this is faulty, there will be a leak between the cistern and the pan, but only when the loo is flushed.
John :)

Thank you again.

So what does this all mean in terms of what I should actually DO? :confused:

You need to determine where the water flowing into the loo bowl is coming from.
Ensure the water fill valve can't allow any fresh water in. Tie it / tape it whatever, just make sure the float is at its highest and there is no hissing or other signs of water flowing.
The flow into the loo bowl will stop in short time if the water is syphoning. The water level in the cistern will remain at a certain level.
If the syphon is leaking from its connection into the cistern base, the level will continue to fall until the cistern is empty.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back