water leaking through new opening in cavity wall?

I would hire or buy an inspection camera then you can see for yourself what is happening when its raining.

Sponsored Links
I would hire or buy an inspection camera then you can see for yourself what is happening when its raining.

I think I'll get a proper roofing company out. I'm not as convinced as the builder that it's just water transfer through the brick.

Questions should the top of the wall cavity be covered with a membrane like the rest of the roof? Or is it normal to be able to see into the cavity by lifting a tile?

Yes of course it should how is the water going to get into the gutter, otherwise it will tip into your cavity.

Yes of course it should how is the water going to get into the gutter, otherwise it will tip into your cavity.

Catlad thanks for all your responses, I thought it should but I don't know enough about these things. I had presumed because the tiles interlocked and overlapped, this would be enough for rain to hit the roof and run off.

House was built in the 1970 so presume it has always been like that.

Sponsored Links
The felt on a roof of a property of that age will have deteriated at the bottom by now, and if new pvc fascia's and guttering have been fitted then it would have been disturbed even more and its very fragile at that age.

How did you get on with this?

I have a similar problem. Water can come through a wall. The outside of our wall is rendered though and treated.

I've identified a problem with the windows and they definitely need replacing. I've sealed them up for now. Which has stemmed the bulk of the problem. It still gets a bit damp and wet when it rains though I think that's just where it's getting through the frames still. However something really foxed me today in that it's sunny for the 1st time in ages and it seems wetter than when it rains (all be it wasn't dripping like mad before the windows were sealed up. I'm thinking this has to be the fact it was done so long ago and that no cavity tray was put in. After reading your circumstances am thinking I should check the roof again since where it pools on top of the RSJ in the cavity might not be directly below where it comes in. I don't see any damp on the window lintels upstairs. It has to be condensation right? or maybe there's a lag for the water to come through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back