water level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an upstairs bathroom where the water level seems to be quite high for the bath and the sink.
The level is about an inch from the plughole in the bath and about 2 inches down from the plug hole in the sink.

When I run the tap fast in the bath without the plughole in, it will start to fill up the bath and it seems to empty quite slowly.
With the sink I don't get this issue but then the tap doesn't seem to run particularly fast - certainly not as fast as the bath.

I went outside to check the outlet pipe whilst the tap was running and it seems to be coming out fairly quickly....

When the bath has finished draining the sink gurgles and vice versa.

Now the problem I have is - the previous owners have completely tiled in the bath panel so I cant get to any of the pipes under there and they have done the same to the sink so I can't access any of the traps to check them.

I have poured 6 different types of sink unblocker just incase that was the issue but nothing at all has changed..

I don't know if this is just "normal" for this house as I have recently bought it - the downstairs sinks don't seem to have this issue.

could this perhaps be a blockage somewhere causing this?? I have had various work done to the house, plastering and painting and I have seen the plasterer pour plaster water down the toilet and brush cleaner down the sink full of gloopy paint, after they've washed the brushes, along with washing their brushes in the sink for the waterbased paint.

I just want to know if this needs more investigating before I attempt to tile my bathroom floor and have to rip it back up again!

Sponsored Links
Chances are it's poorly routed drain lines which have very little gradient, are filling completely during discharge and causing a partial vacuum which pulls air in at the sink trap.

You have two choices : either live with it or do what you know needs doing (finding the problem and getting the job done properly - by a plumber who knows what's what)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back