Water main questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently redesigning my kitchen layout & have a few issues with the placement of the water main.

The current live water main is lead piping & is located in the front corner of the room. With the kitchen layout we want this will no longer be hidden behind the kitchen units so we would like to move it. There is another newer water main (blue plastic), which is not currently live, which is also in a poor position so would need to be moved.

What I would like to do is move the incoming plastic pipe & remove the lead water main. I have located the 'hole in the pavement' stopcock, although turning it didnt produce any water from the plastic water main - would assume therefore it turns off the supply from the lead pipe, although this doesn't seem to make sense to me as this doesn't leave any means of turning the new main on, unless it isn't connected? Unfortunately the house was bought with this all in place - we were told at the time a new water main had been fitted but I'm
unsure why it would have been installed but not made live, and without any obvious way of doing so?

If I can find out how to get water into the new main, what are the rules governing moving the pipework on my property? How far down is the pipe likely to be found? (It's going to mean digging up a brick driveway unfortunately). As the pipe will need extended as well, how easy will it be to get extra lengths & fittings etc? Is this something better attempted by a plumber?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the mdpe ( blue pipe ) will not be connected to the mains so if needs be you will able to move it yourself but will after be buried between 750 and 1350mm. a stopcock will have to be fitted after 150mm from where it enters the property. now when you have that sorted speak to your local water undertaker about getting connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back