Water Meter Distance + Pipe Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house, a group of 3, all of which have an individual, 25mm MDPE pipe tracking across a 300m field to individual water meters. Each of us has a fairly dismal water pressure although the pressue at the water meter is apparently 3bar. My neighbour told me that over Christmas, at one time his cold-water tank wasn't filling. The water company has suggested that we pull out the 25mm (OD) pipe and replace it with 32mm and that this will, they say, make a tremendous difference.

Three questions - two technical and one legal:
1. If a long length of pipe is increased in diameter only to be reduced back to 25mm near the house, will the water pressure really increase, or is the 25mm constriction going to negate any improvement?

2. Would it be more sensible for the three neighbours to replace the 3 25mm pipes with one much larger (what size?) one and then split them to 3 25mm pipes the near side of the field? If so, I presume that Southwest Water is going to take adim view of our moving of their water main: but would they adopt our larger pipe and do the connection?

3. Is it reasonable that the water company has our meters so far away from the houses such that if the farmer decides to dig deep, we'd have the local reservoir emptied onto it at our expense?

Lots of questions I'm afraid!

Patrick

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back