water on green tongue and groove floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I wondered how water resistant moisture resistant tongue and groove flooring is?
We have a fairly recent loft conversion which has eventually been signed off thankfully.

A separate company fitted Karndean loose lay vinyl in the new loft bathroom.
We went for loose lay in case we ever need to lift it to access the pipes underneath.
The flooring company was more expensive than the others but they assured us it was because they use the best fitters in the business and that is why they charge more.

It was fitted on a roasting hot day at the end of August and the vinyl was taken straight from the van late in the afternoon and fitted straight away. As he was finishing the fitter said it was the first time he had fitted that product.
After he left I realised he hadn't read the instructions. The instructions say allow to acclimatize in the room for at least 2 days. I've spoke to Karndean since and they say it is especially important to acclimatize the loose lay product in order to achieve a tight fit.
Also the fitter put adhesive in the centre of each tile instead of around the edges as clearly stated in the instructions.
They were also supposed to use a finishing compound to even out any bumps on the T+G floor but they didn't do that either.
Within days of the vinyl being fitted, gaps started to appear between the tiles. They have been back since to try and close the gaps by pushing the tiles in towards the centre of the room and leaving a bigger gap at the skirting boards which was then filled with extra silicone.
The gaps have started opening up again. Not huge gaps, approximately 1 or 2 mm.
Though we use a big shower mat, the floor still gets wet.
Is it ok for T+G to get a bit wet like this or could it lead to problems with damp?
I don't think much water gets down the gaps but I suppose it can't evaporate and if its happening on a daily basis it could accumulate.
I've attached a couple of pics.
thanks in advance for any advice
20160818_164022.jpg 20161222_132109.jpg

Sponsored Links
Small gaps between the tiles is acceptable according to Karndean.
But no more then 1mm.
Why have they used white silicone. Terrible that. They should use a thin bead of clear.
Also you must let tiles acclimatise and they should be all glued down with tack adhesive.

thanks for reply dazlight, much appreciated. the gaps are more slightly more than 1mm. I don't think they will come out again and try to fix it. I might just try filling the gaps with black silicone and use a large floor mat next to the shower door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back