Water out of taps boiling hot - Help please :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

The water out of the taps is way too hot and we have no idea how to cool it down. We assume the boiler is set to a high temperature but we aren't sure how to turn it down.

I have attached pictures below, any help on how to turn the temperature down will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Boiler2.jpg
    Boiler2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 231
  • boiler3.jpg
    boiler3.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 230
Sponsored Links
does this happen when the heating (radiators) are turned off, or only when they are on?

Is the electric immersion heater turned on?

btw the round white cylindrical thing is not a boiler, it is a Hot Water Cylinder (yours happens to be an unvented one)

Stand back and take a wider picture that includes the pipes and other things beside and at the foot of the cylinder please.

First thing, there's an immersion heater in that cylinder (1st pic, white blob just below the overflow pipework)- make sure that isn't switched on (the flex from it should go to a switch probably in or just outside the airing cupboard)

Next, have a read of the boiler manual (or tell us what it is)

Next, have a read of the boiler manual (or tell us what it is)
its a Vokera easi-heat 18V plus and another one for checking that the immersion heater is not switched on, as your boiler thermostat is actually set too low for your unvented HW cylinder and not too high

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP, wheres the dual control/high limit thermostat that came supplied with the cylinder, and the zone valve,
and that D2 discharge is not permitted.
wind up maybe.

Does that say 'Thermostat' behind that white plastic discharge pipe? If so, and your immersion is turned off as others have said, try turning it down.

I have to agree with @JimCrow , the safety discharge pipe (D2) for your unvented cylinder is not correct and isn't safe, both the size of pipe below the tee and the plastic pipe after the tundish, you really need to have a G3/UVHW qualifed engineer in to review that installation and ensure it is corrected that before it becomes an issue, especially if it is getting too hot.

It's the empty pocket where the thermostat should be.
Well if you are heating the hot water In the cylinder through the coil, how does it know when to stop heating it? Without a thermostat, surely it’ll just keep getting hotter and hotter until something gives?

Well if you are heating the hot water In the cylinder through the coil, how does it know when to stop heating it? Without a thermostat, surely it’ll just keep getting hotter and hotter until something gives?
will never get any hotter than the boiler thermostat is set at, (unless immersion is switched on ) but not correct the Cyl does need a separate thermostat

Apologies for the late response.

I have taken more pictures.

I think the immersion heater is on, should I turn it off?

I have phoned my landlord and he said he will get an engineer in, but I doubt it, he's extremely dodgy.

There doesn't seem to be a thermostat attached anywhere as well.

There are two switches next to the cylinder. One connects the to the black thing and the other says 'water heater' and connects to the white thing.

Attachments

• boiler4.jpg
    boiler4.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 156
  • boiler5.jpg
    boiler5.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 157
  • boiler6.jpg
    boiler6.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 162
I think the immersion heater is on, should I turn it off?

Yes.

The round white thing marked "Thermowatt" is the cap of the immersion heater. The thick flex should go to a switch on the wall. Turn off the wall switch.

product_u_n_untitled-2-416x416.png

Yes.

The round white thing marked "Thermowatt" is the cap of the immersion heater. The thick flex should go to a switch on the wall.

product_u_n_untitled-2-416x416.png

Thank you, I'll turn it off.

The black thing at the bottom is connected to a wire. What is that? and should I turn it off as well?

It is the pump that distributes heated water from the boiler. You need not turn it off. It should not have a switch because it is part of the boiler control circuits.

Immersion heater is off. Water is still hot but I assume it'll take a few hours to cool down?

Hopefully I can have a shower in the house tomorrow haha

Thanks so much!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back