water overflowing above boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help?
I have moved to a 1st floor conversion flat which has a Baxi solo 2 boiler.
The place has been empty for 9 months and the previous occupant not available to ask. I tried to get the boiler going, following intruction on casing. There were a few strange noises, the pump and pipes close to the boiler got very hot but nothing else. After a few minutes cold water started gushing from an overflow above the boiler, so I've turned it all off.

There are some things I am not familiar with.
There is a pressure gauge which has a control that I cant figure out. There is also a blue plastic box (about 3"x4") with British gas on it, and again controls that don't mean a thing. These seem to wired to a white junction box.
Also, on the floor is a red metal container about the size of a bowling ball but flat. I don't want to call someone out if it's something I can put right.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
the bowling ball (never heard it called that before) is a pressure vessel. I reckon you could spend hours fiddling with it and not getting anywhere... maybe you could call a local plumber and they might be able to sort it in a few minutes, as (hopefully) they should know what they are doing. the water 'gushing' could be from pressure relief valve... you do not say wether it is gushing inside the property or outside... As the property has been empty for a while the system could be seized... hard to say.

Thanks for the reply. The water is overflowing outside and having now read some of the info on the site, I realise that a cold water feed (silver braided pipe) was on and probably causing the overflow. However I'm not sure the pump was doing very much and it may well be seized, as you say. I still haven't figured what the blue box is though. I will press on with my investigation before I resort to the plumber! Thanks

Sponsored Links
if you call a plumber today expect £££££, if you arrange for visit in the week it might be £ or ££. Where do you live?????????????

I would suggest that the "blue box" is your motorised valve; should have a silver label on it with "MV-....." something or other on it.... Am I right?

If Monnie reads the FAQ section about spinning the pump then thats the most likely cause and it will probably get it mostly going.

Tony

Thanks everyone. It's all useful.
I will have a go at spinning the pump.

You are right, Agile. It does have MV on it. Does it every need adjusting? There is a lever on one side and on the underside with the the letters
W M H alongside.

I live in East Sussex.

Monnie; the motorized valve is automatic; that lever is a manual override for when it goes wrong as a temporary solution; so no need to touch it at the present time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back