Water peentration to wood supporting roof,needs treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a situation where there was previously water leaks on a house, the builder now said to me that I shouldn’t worry that its not the roof, he said its something wrong with the rain water drainage pipe. He said he will fix it. However I had a timber and damp report done and they said that the wood supporting the roof that can be seen in the loft space needs treatment, this is due to previous water ingress.

I called to ask if there was still water ingress and they said it appears to have been fixed now, however they recommend that the wood be treated with some chemical etc, now I know I can get the chemical from Wickes/Selco etc.
I just wanted to confirm how this is done before I speak to the builder, this is just for my own information. Is it just a case of buying a container containing the wood treatment chemical and straying it on the wood ?

Sponsored Links
If you invite a company that sells treatment for damp and decay into your home, you can expect them to tell you that you need to buy treatment against damp and decay.

Can someone please comment on my post, I just need to know the name of what to buy so that the wood can be sprayed with it.

Thanks.

If the water ingress has definitely been sorted, then there's nothing more really needs to be done.....a stain on the timber is irrelevant and if the timber has rotted then any solution won't help that either.
However, if you'd feel better then any anti rot treatment brushed on won't do any harm.
Post a pic if you can!
John :)

Sponsored Links
1. Why not go up in the loft and view the area in question?
Then, perhaps, report your findings back here?

2. RWP's are below the loft rafters, so they are not likely culprits - unless dormers are present.

3. Lack of underfelt, and loose or missing flashings, are a typical source of observable roof leakage.

FWIW: The builder said that "he will fix it" - implying a present ongoing leak. Surely his "fixing it" will involve treating any fungal infected wood?
The D&T Surveyor indicated stainage only, hence, an historic leak.
Which is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back