Water pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacingmy water supply pioe from 15mm copper to mdpe. United Utilities are gonna make the connection in the road at some point. I've asked them for a full quote and I'm still waiting.

Thing is, my builder (who's building a side extension at the moment) has got a small digger on site tomorrow for backfilling the founds.

I'm thinking of asking him to dig me the trench for my water pipe while he's got the digger. If he did it to 750 deep, and I lay the pipe in the trench on a bed of sand, cover it with more sand then fill it back in.... and take lots of photos and videos to show UU..... do u think they would be ok with it? I know they normally wanna inspect the trench, but times restraints won't allow it without me leaving the trench open for a month or more..... which I don't wanna do. Just wanna take advantage of the digger whilst he's here. What do u guys reckon..... Will UU see their arse and refuse to agree it retrospectively??? Do u think

Sponsored Links
UU don't have to do it. I got a private firm to do mine. SE water didn't care what happened my side of the stoptap (which is on the boundary).

Find a plumber?

There's a particular qualification plumber's have to have I think but can't remember what it is. Does anyone know?

Using at least 25mm MDPE do everything to the book and at the external stop-cock or closest to it, say at a garden wall, then leave a coiled end of MDPE in an open pit big enough for the utility to make a connection in.
Coming into the house at 750mm depth, in an insulated sleeve, rise straight up, and fix an isolator.

When your ready, call the utility for a connection - dont go talking about anything else. If the utility wants to know any more they will ask.

Its a DIY job.

Sponsored Links
I think I waited 5 days for my UU inspector, but that was pre-Covid, approx 14 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back