Water pipe - why is copper cheaper than iron?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Copper tube (Wickes retail) 3m 15mm for £7.74, so £6.45 excl.

Local plumbers' merchant:

3m 1/2" Black iron pipe £16 excl.
3m 1/2" Galv iron pipe £20 excl.

I thought copper was supposed to be expensive? I know there's trade and retail cost, but these are both retail prices so...

Is this normal, or is this over the odds for the iron pipe?

Just wondering, if anyone has a spare moment...

Sponsored Links
Have you compared the weight of 3m of copper pipe against 3 metres of iron pipe. There's about a 20:1 difference in equivalent weight.

Supply and demand perhaps? Copper easier to work with than iron so demand is higher.

iron is cheaper than copper as bore gets larger

Sponsored Links
Have you compared the weight of 3m of copper pipe against 3 metres of iron pipe. There's about a 20:1 difference in equivalent weight.

I wondered if that was the reason, given how thick iron pipe tends to be.

So this sort of price comparison seems normal then?

Either way you wouldn't want to be running potable water in steel piping given the choice - well I wouldn't !

I believe copper has a natural anti-bacterial action, whilst steel offers the opposite.

Who said I was using it for a plumbing-related purpose?
Natural assumption to make as this is the Plumbing and Central Heating forum and you'd given no hint otherwise. ;)

The base price for copper and steel pipe is based on weight.

Who said I was using it for a plumbing-related purpose?
Natural assumption to make as this is the Plumbing and Central Heating forum and you'd given no hint otherwise. ;)

The base price for copper and steel pipe is based on weight.

I'm sure iron pipe can be used for Central Heating pipework, so can be discussed in the Plumbing and Central Heating forum.

;)

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back