Water Ponding Under Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had my guttering, soffits & fascias replaced however I have noticed a potential problem on a small section of tiled roof.

The piece of roof I refer to is tiled with felt underneath; when the fascia was replaced it looks like the builders put a small stripe of new felt (plastic equivalent) on the very edge under the last row of tiles to route any water that gets under the tiles into the new guttering. However on inspecting under the last row of tiles I can see that there is a gulley that has been created by this new strip of felt & as such water is ponding here; is this normal & ok? I would of thought that this felt should be pulled tight so that water runs straight into the gutter as it would off of the tiles?

I have attached a simple diagram to show a profile of what I mean.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Flo Plas Eaves Protectors (or similar) are typically used under the felt at the eaves precisely to stop water going behind the fascia or into the roof space.

google them and similar and pics of how they are installed.

The felt should run over them into the gutter - no matter how the gutter is fixed.

Eaves protectors should always be fitted on the kind of job you describe.

Thanks for your replies. Eve protectors have been added but it is this that looks like it is not been stretched out & nailed in position flat enough & as such is ponding the water instead of letting it flow; if that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
I feel that a picture is needed for me to help you more as its not clear what your problem is.

I will try and get a picture this week. Basically to describe in easier terms - if I lift the first row of tiles, sitting just behind the fascia is a trough/gulley formed of the new eve protector material (like felt) & this is pooling water.

I have now managed to lift one tile on the edge of the fascia & take a picture. I have marked with a text box where the fascia is, where the gutter is & where the water pools during rain. Let me know if this seems ok?

There doesn't seem to be an eaves protector in place, an eaves protector is not the membrane in your photo, it's a strip of rigid plastic and sits underneath the membrane to support it to prevent the exact problem you have. The membrane is not supposed to be pulled tight, there is no need for it to be puled tight in fact the membrane should never be pulled tight and even if it were pulled tight it would sag sooner or later.

So if you have one it is fitted incorrectly or more likely you just don't have one fitted at all. There should be no pooling so no the installation is not right. Did you do as ree said and google what an 'eaves protector ' is?

Looks like the guys used damp proof membrane instead of eaves protectors. Seen it done before. Need him back to remove the dpm and fit eaves protectors which as freddy says are rigid plastic. Should fix the problem.

Thanks for the good replies guys.

Silly question but how does water get under there anyways when the roof tiles themselves are above?

Regards

PS the main roof of my house is not even felted just tiles; what would you use on the fascias in this case?

Not the most experienced guy graham so probably better clarifying with one of the other guys on here...but would just use the eaves protectors above the fascia on the main roof as well. Helps shed water into the gutters from the tiles. Plus stops driving rain getting in the back of the fascia or if the gutters were holding water/blocked the water could get in the back of the fascia. The protector should give it more protection from it. Ideally you would re-felt the roof and use the eaves protectors but there's a lot of roofs that dont have felt on them that get by. Just keep an eye on the roof and make sure you get any broken tiles etc fixed asap
I would look at your tiles why waters getting under them if it is coming from above. Gauge/headlap etc okay?? Any broken/cracked/etc. Hows the ridges/verges?? Check the 2 rows of tiles he would have removed to fit the dpm if they've been put back allright.

I m guessing the guys put coverboard on the fascia's...in that case your new guttering will be 10mm out from where it had been so you would use the eaves protectors to cover that gap. With the damp proof because it's not rigid it could be driving in with the rain and running to the low spot especially if it's a low pitch roof.

If you've no problems with the main roof you should be fine. Although the eaves protectors will give you piece of mind in terms of water coming from below. The tiles should over-hang into the gutters enough to stop water getting in the back anyway depending on the pitch as well. Unless you've cover boarded the main roof too in that case get the eaves protectors on instead of the dpm even if you dont have felt above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back