water pressure dropped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

I've just had a combi fitted by the two most idiotic gas men, i've had them back out twice already and can't bare to see there faces again.

I know they switched the cold water off at somepoint not using the mains but somewhere else possibly at the tank in the loft( if thats possible), anyway my hot and cold water now comes out at half the pace it used to.

Is this normal, could it have air in the system? is this something I can resolve easily.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Only two places I can think of are the main stop cock, or outside the house.

did you have a combi before ? or is this the first time you have had a combi in this house ?

Sponsored Links
Ermm..?

Check the stop cocks I mentioned, to make sure they are fully open.

Also they may have fitted another valve somewhere on the main feed that's restricting the flow, or isn't opened fully.

i've checked the mains just and they are fully open

i don't think they have fitted another

cold water down stairs is fine thin that comes straight from the mains

Are you sure that they left the cold water tank in the loft? :confused:

So exactly what taps do you have a problem with?

hot in bathroom and downstairs and cold upstairs

a new pipe coming from the loft(can't get up there at the mo kids and wife asleep, not asleep in the loft that is) tank, it then splits going to the boiler and to bath, surely the problem lies somewhere along that line

Are you sure that they left the cold water tank in the loft? :confused:

erm i think so why
The main point of having a combi is that it is supplied by the cold mains so that you have hot water at mains pressure. It means that the tank in the loft is obsolete and is normally removed, or at least emptied and isolated if they can't be bothered to take it out.

It would be mighty odd indeed to supply the combi by gravity fed water from the loft tank, but since the cold tap at the kitchen sink if fine, but the rest of the taps are at a trickle, it makes on wonder if that's what they have done. :confused:

i never saw them take it out

i have a shower that use to run direct from the water tank in the loft, and that still runs fine

Check they've disconnected the cold water tank first and are not using this to supply the combi. ;)

Assuming that they haven't done this (which would be crazy), another alternative is that somewhere there will be a tee in the cold water mains, with one end going straight to the kitchen cold water tap and the other going to the rest of the house which includes the supply to the combi. If you can find this branch and a valve on it, then that's what needs adjusting :)

i never saw them take it out

i have a shower that use to run direct from the water tank in the loft, and that still runs fine

Oh dear.

What shower is it?

They should of tapped the mains cold into the cold water tank cold outlet, and disconnected the tank in the loft.

Then connected the hot outlet from the new boiler in the hot water pipe that used to come from your hot water cylinder, which they also should of removed.

What have they done...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back