Water pressure dropping on new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondered if anyone could please help as I am at the end of my tether!

I had a new Ideal Vogue 32 boiler fitted last week. At first everything seemed fine but the second day it began to lose pressure. I asked the central heating engineer to come back and have a look at it to determine the cause. After what appeared to be a thorough investigation, (and doing things like bleeding the radiators,etc) he said that he could not see what was causing the boiler to lose pressure but asked me to give it a while to see if things would settle down. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be getting worse. I will, of course, ask the engineer to come back again but wondered what would be the likelihood of the boiler itself being faulty. Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Probably a leak on the system very unlikely to be the boiler.
Obviously if it's a leak on the system it's not the installers fault

What system did you have before? If it was tank fed and you've gone to a sealed system a leak is very common. You should've been made aware of this on installation.

As an engineer I like solid facts!

Please could you say what pressure you set it to and what it falls to and after how long.

You need to compare cold with cold pressures!

Tony

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, I am setting the pressure to 1.5 and it falls to 0 after a maximum of 30 minutes! The boiler had no problems for the first 24 hours but now it needs constant repressurizing.

If you set the pressure and dont run the boiler at all does the pressure still fall?

When the heating is running and warms up does the pressure rise a lot higher than when it was cold?

Hi Jackthom, yes, the pressure does go down even if I don't run the boiler at all. No, the pressure doesn't seem to go higher than 1.5.

Quick test.

1. Pressurise the system to 1.5bar
2. Shut the flow and return valves under the boiler

If it still loses pressure then it's something within the boiler, if it doesn't and when you open the flow or return valve it then drops, then the problem is in the pipework/radiator circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back