water pressure question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never used on of these sites so hope my stupidity doesn't offend if i've posted in wrong place!!

I need some help sorting out what I think is a water pressure problem but I could be wrong. Water board are busy doing nothing about it and with a baby due any day I need to get the problem sorted so hope someone can help.

The water pressure in my house is lower than normal and has been for at least a week. Electric shower has stopped working (was acting like someone was running a tap at same time). I also tried increasing the pressure on the combi boiler using the mains valve but this is not doing anything.

So what I wanted to know....is the water pressure valve on the boiler not working because the water pressure is low or would this not effect it? It worked a month ago when id had to bleed a radiator and top up the pressure.

Water board recon its an isolated problem as noone else has reported a problem but there is no sign of a leak and next door's electric shower was also playing up but they are now on holiday. Need to know where to begin really...any guesses would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Any work done on water service recently? Not necessarily just at your house, down the road or something? If a water-board fella dropped a fag-butt in or an earthworm got shoved in the pipe & found its way to your service pipe perhaps there's a restriction/blockage?

Try testing the pressure, I've heard the Water companies guarantee minimum 1.5bar, possibly more in some areas. If you're getting constant water, the pressure should not be affected when on a standing test if there is a restriction in the pipe. So with no water running through anything anywhere, connect a pressure gauge to a tap and open the tap. Or get SOMEONE to try that.

What does the pressure gauge on the boiler read? Is it working for htg & Hot water?
Assuming so as you mention the "electric" shower is the problem: forgive me stating the obvious but have you thought about limescale...?! A common cause of elec shower not working.

If the boiler pressure is up to [example] 1.8bar? & you're getting less than that on the incoming mains then the mains pressure will be negative to the htg system(boiler)pressure, therefore trying top-up the pressure surely won't have any effect.

Any more info is most helpful...

I'm new to this site too although been in the industry a few years now but desire to be better and trying to help others may help build confidence etc!
Just waiting for a good slating from some of the experienced guys on here for a mistake I've probably made somewhere!

Whatever happens, please let us know the result.

Sponsored Links
Any work done on water service recently? Not necessarily just at your house, down the road or something? If a water-board fella dropped a fag-butt in or an earthworm got shoved in the pipe & found its way to your service pipe perhaps there's a restriction/blockage?

Try testing the pressure, I've heard the Water companies guarantee minimum 1.5bar, possibly more in some areas. If you're getting constant water, the pressure should not be affected when on a standing test if there is a restriction in the pipe. So with no water running through anything anywhere, connect a pressure gauge to a tap and open the tap. Or get SOMEONE to try that.

What does the pressure gauge on the boiler read? Is it working for htg & Hot water?
Assuming so as you mention the "electric" shower is the problem: forgive me stating the obvious but have you thought about limescale...?! A common cause of elec shower not working.

If the boiler pressure is up to [example] 1.8bar? & you're getting less than that on the incoming mains then the mains pressure will be negative to the htg system(boiler)pressure, therefore trying top-up the pressure surely won't have any effect.

Any more info is most helpful...

I'm new to this site too although been in the industry a few years now but desire to be better and trying to help others may help build confidence etc!
Just waiting for a good slating from some of the experienced guys on here for a mistake I've probably made somewhere!

Whatever happens, please let us know the result.

Sounds like good enough advice to me ;)

Check standing pressure then check the pressure when running a tap (dynamic pressure) If this is effecting every outlet in the house the water board should be doing somthing about this, at least testing it! Get on to them and ask what is the minimum your house should recieve and i'm pretty sure there obliged to test it for free.

Are you on a meter? If so, turn off the stopcock inside and go and see if the meter is still spinning - if it is then your underground supply pipe has ruptured, this could be causing the reduced flow (and also a big bill)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back