Water proofing a single skinned util's room - any pointers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I need some advice regarding securing my single skinned utility room / conservatory against water and possible damp.

I recently moved in to my new home which has a small utility room / conservatory built on the back of the kitchen, it's heated and seems structurally sound. It's build of a single skin of concrete blocks to about 1.2meters, the rest is PVC glazing.

I think the blocks are laid directly onto concreted ground or just below with concrete poured against the first visible course. Problem being, I can't see any attempt to put in a DPC of any sort and the area is prone to small amounts of standing water as the drainage is soak-away and occasionally over flows.

Example photo, not great but it might help, beneath the laminate flooring it feels a little damp: http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o243/OliWatts/IMAG0051.jpg

I've heard of a chemical DPC but I think the concrete blocks aren't porous for such a treatment. Another alternative I've heard of is 'Tanking' like in a wet room but I don't know what they will do to the concrete blocks stuck on the outside of the proofing.

I'll also be looking to hookup the drains properly to what is currently heading for the soak-away, that will limit the standing water but not really solve the problem of shoddy building work care of the previous owner.

All in all it doesn't appear to be doing too badly but long term I don't want any problems.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if he did carry out an unauthorised connection to the main drainage?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back