Water pump/generator question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a private water supply and pressurize our mains water with a pump. In the event of a power cut we have no water!!!!! I am thinking of getting a generator for emergencies, but I suspect the starting current of the pump will mean the size of the generator required will make it too expensive. On the pump label there are 2 ratings P1 2.2kW and P2 2.61kW what is the difference and also would a 3kW continuious generator start the pump?

Anything else to consider?

David

Sponsored Links
P1 and P2 refer to whether it's wired in single or 2 phase..
it might have 230/400 on the lable somewhere too..

I would have thought that a 3KW generator would be amply capable of powering a 2.2KW pump..

you might want to go larger though if it's a regular occurence since you'll no doubt also want lights and minor power running of it too..

but then you get into the realms of change over switches and such so that you don't back feed the grid..

Is it a well you get water from? how about an auxiliary mechanical pump driven by a diesel or petrol engine or keep a header tank or reserve tank filled for emergency use.

Thats great. I was just a bit worried as I had in my mind that motors/pumps can draw 10x??????? their running current at startup and I was a bit worried how this would affect a generator.

Next step find a good deal on a generator.

Many thanks

David

Sponsored Links
tbh you will probably find the generator does change tone as the pump kicks in but its only for a split second you will have to suck it and see im afraid.

It depends how the generator is excited some generators on overload loss excitation I had this problem on the Falklands with shearing machines and we had to start sharping disk first to take up start current. It seemed those with AVR's worked OK with motors but those with duel exciter coils one for off load voltage and one for on load voltage would fail.
Today you can get soft starts and inverters so it can still be done but extra expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back