Generator to run water pump 150m away, voltage drop

Sorry for late reply, didn't notice the notification... appreciate the updates, and earthing comments.

It turns out the run will be 85m and theft is the reason the genny has to be relocated (long story).
There is already earth rod at the borehole end.

At the moment our arrangement is very ad-hoc, and we were looking at safely running same arrangement further away from borehole location, nothing more. I was just unsure about voltage drop etc on lengths of run, and cable being non returnable.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
doing another calculation for 5% voltage drop at 85m of 2.5mm² gives the maximum load at 1.6KW. In other words if your pump is less than 1.6KW 2.5mm² is fine.
Sorry, final question(s)

The borehole pump terminates in one of those IP44 16A connectors, the generator end is a standard 3 pin plug, I intend to run SWA between
(for mechanical protection only) will 2 core SWA be OK to use, or will I need the 3 core.

Also pondering if removing the UK plug socket on the generator (if possible) and replacing with something like this will be better idea?
I too think that would be a good idea.

Excuse my ignorance, but let's say the voltage drop was more than 5% what would be the outcome?

Would the generator not fire up or would it cut out.
I'm only asking as I lashed together three extension leads (yes I know) just to see if it would fire up on 60m of crap cable... it did and ran no problems for a couple of hours.

Thanks again.

Excuse my ignorance, but let's say the voltage drop was more than 5% what would be the outcome?

Would the generator not fire up or would it cut out.

The idea with motors, is that to successfully start, they draw a lot of current until they are in sync with the supply frequency. A motor which, due to volt drop, is unable to get to speed quickly, will overheat due to the high current it is consuming, and could suffer damage. Various methods are used, to limit the initial current draw, such as reducing the mechanical load until up to speed, resistances in series to limit the draw, and with 3ph star- delta starters.

Some systems include low-voltage releases, to protect motors from voltage dropping at start up.

Sponsored Links
The idea with motors, is that to successfully start, they draw a lot of current until they are in sync with the supply frequency. A motor which, due to volt drop, is unable to get to speed quickly, will overheat due to the high current it is consuming, and could suffer damage. Various methods are used, to limit the initial current draw, such as reducing the mechanical load until up to speed, resistances in series to limit the draw, and with 3ph star- delta starters.

Some systems include low-voltage releases, to protect motors from voltage dropping at start up.
All of this is spot on and yes we do need to consider all of it.

However unless the generator volts are below expected and/or the pump rating is close to the generator capacity (I imagine neither of those apply) I'd expect volt drop to be acceptable and to be honest a 1.5mm² will probably work perfectly although I'll say don't be tempted to give it a try, it will be a bad false economy and very likely bite in the future.

To explain this and as I say don't try it. Working on this calculation:
1686823289384.png

We see a 25V drop at 2.2KW (capacity of generator)

The following ramblings ARE NOT THE WAY TO DESIGN A CIRCUIT but hopefully offer an insight to real world expectations.

Our existing mains supply is stated as 230V +10%/-6% (253-216.2) so in theory; if running at that full load current, the 25.2 voltage drop can be added to the spec which allows the generator to run at 278.2 - 241.4V to give our required supply.

In practice your pump is unlikely to be drawing 2.2KW. My limited experience of bore hole pumps is 0.75 and 1.2KW and those smaller loads will result in overvoltage if the generator is not limited .

IF the generator is running (in spec) between 253 & 241.4V (quite typical for older units) then the final voltage will be within spec for a load at 2.2KW or below.

From the above screenshot it can be shown that purely on voltage drop a smaller cable will often APPEAR to be acceptable but there are other factors to be considered. For example that length of 1,5mm² cable from the above calculation (I have not double checked this against Ω/m chart) gives 2.7Ω and a short circuit on a supply the minimum of 216V is 80A which is right on the 5X figure for magnetic tripping a B16 MCB, allowing for any other resistance in the system especially with connectors permanently in damp situations it doesn't take too much for a short circuit to take a minute or ten to trip a breaker especially if someone has fitted a type C or D 'because it's a motor'.

As I mentioned this rambling is not the way to design circuits.

Personally I'd consider 4mm² minimum but I haven't got all of the details (pump rating) or done all of the calculations.

Well just thought I'd update on this.

The pump turned out to be lower power once running, around 650w continuous.

Ended up using, armoured 3 core, 2.5mm and re-routed to 100m. All works well.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread. (y)

Well just thought I'd update on this.

The pump turned out to be lower power once running, around 650w continuous.

Ended up using, armoured 3 core, 2.5mm and re-routed to 100m. All works well.

Thanks to all who commented on this thread. (y)
Thanks for the feedback.

doing another calculation for 5% voltage drop at 85m of 2.5mm² gives the maximum load at 1.6KW. ....
Indeed, but 5% is just a suggested guideline 'maximum VD'.

As you've gone on to say, many loads (quite possibly including the OP's pump) would work satisfactorily with VD of 25% or more - particularly given that they are hopefully designed to work satisfactorily down to 204.7V (minimum permitted supply voltage minus 5% recommended within-installation max VD).

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, but 5% is just a suggested guideline 'maximum VD'.

As you've gone on to say, many loads (quite possibly including the OP's pump) would work satisfactorily with VD of 25% or more - particularly given that they are hopefully designed to work satisfactorily down to 204.7V (minimum permitted supply voltage minus 5% recommended within-installation max VD).

Kind Regards, John
Indeed and maybe even 50% VD.

While working on a building site I used 230V drill and jigsaw on 110V and it didn't make earthshaking difference for the work I was doing.

Indeed and maybe even 50% VD.
Indeed -and, of course, if/when one is talking about loads which have SMPSUs, a 50% VD may not have any effect on the equipment at all.
While working on a building site I used 230V drill and jigsaw on 110V and it didn't make earthshaking difference for the work I was doing.
That doesn't particularly surprise me.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back