outbuilding supply from floating neutral portable generator

I don't have an earth rod testing rig and I would not think many electricians own one it's not a bit of kit used very much.

In my own home I would not be too worried but for a club house with children then really do need to cross the t's and dot the i's and so you really need the paperwork to show all testing has been completed.

I am sure the Scouting organisation has rules. I know my son was asked to give a copy of his insurance and they stipulated the value when doing work for a charity.

Doing the work is all well and good but once completed then you will need an Electrical Installation Condition Report which should show the value of the earth rod.

When I worked for a gas receiving station with no power we had to hire the test set to measure earth rod resistance in all my 40 years as an electrician I have only seen three. One I used a lot at the gas receiving station, one was part of the top of range Robin test set and one was used in Algeria to test the earth for cathodic protection on a pipe line.

So it may take a little phoning around to find some one who can inspect and test where there is no electricity board earth to compare the readings with. In the main we use a loop impedance tester and the house earth is compared with the electricity board earth but you don't have this option.

Clearly the RCD will also need testing but nearly every electrician has a RCD tester but earth rod testers are quite rare.

I think one could build a tester it is a Wheatstone bridge in essence and one compares three earth rods and one moves the centre one and from that you calculate the resistance of the rod to earth.

In the main a 1.2 meter earth rod hammered into the ground will give you the 200Ω or less required and for my house I would not worry I would just hammer it in and cross my fingers. But since you have children involved I think you need that document to show it is A OK.

Sponsored Links
I don't have an earth rod testing rig and I would not think many electricians own one it's not a bit of kit used very much.
Many current/recent MFTs can do it (e.g. Fluke 1653). However, even if one does not have such kit (but does have an MFT of some sort) are there (m)any situations in which measurement of the loop impedance through the earth electrode is not adequate (since that is, ultimately, what one is concerned about, isn't it?)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back