Generator fed house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a bit of a problem with a supply to a house at the back of a shingle beach. The house is fed from a generator, and I have tried to get an earth via an earth rod knowing that there is just sand below. Hence no earth path. The house has a normal RCD protected board in, so if I tie the earth to the neutral at the the generator end of the supply cable, would this give me the protection I need?

Sponsored Links
Er, no.

That neutral would need to be tied to earth in several places. This is what PME is (Protective Multiple Earthing).

You need to get a good sound connection via a rod & replace that 100A incomer with an S type RCD of 100mA (min) rating.

OOI, what is the Ze of your rod?

Ask yourself what good a rod in the ground would be without the neutral of the generator tied to this rod.

TOO many folk think simply rodding a generator provides a return earth path? Where do they think the earth fault current is going when it travels down the rod?

The earth rod is not there to provide an earth path. It ties the neutral/earth connection you form down to mother earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back