Water running across sealant at bottom of glass shower screen and onto floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Have searched but not found anything similar so here goes.

I had a shower tray and screen recently installed, with the screen sitting on the tray. The bottom of the screen was sealed on the outside of where it sits on the shower tray.
When used, water travelled from left to right along where the inside of the screen and tray touch until it reached the end of the screen and flowed off the edge onto the tiles. (The phrase "capillary action" keeps springing to mind here).

In an attempt to resolve, I dried under the screen and sealed the inside edge with 6mm (I think) sealant using Fugi. The result is the same.

Strategically placing two bottles of shampoo so that they touch the internal sealant and overhang the edge redirects the water but this isn't long-term viable!

I've cleaned the edge with meths and RainX.

My only other idea is to find some form of water repellant spray/cream and apply that to the edge area immediately just inside the right-end of the screen, so that water is redirected into the tray before it gets to the end of the screen. Any ideas of products? Vaseline will likely do it but isn't ideal.

Any further thoughts, other than getting the builder back to raise the end corner of the tray (which I would prefer to avoid).

Answers much appreciated in advance.

Sponsored Links
I personally would contact the installer and inform them that your cubicle is leaking.
It sounds to me that it has not been sealed or fitted correctly.

I did think that. The water in the tray does seem to drain down the waste at the opposite end and the other long side of the tray doesn't have the same issue though - bowed/warped tray possibly? Will get a spirit level on there and revert if it's not level

Sponsored Links
The two tray edges into that corner are pretty level.

Anyone got any suggestions please? Particularly any products I could put on the edge to stop water flow past it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back