Water Saturated Gable Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please, the problem here was not identified by the surveyor – basically a very wet gable wall, water dripping down the internal stones and mortar / behind the lathe and plaster. Cause was due to extensive cracked wall head gutters (lead) and blocked downpipes (all now repaired).

All roof water has been running internally, joist ends are also soaked, but intact and now drying. Ingress, due to lack of maintenance. Heating and dehumidifiers are now in situ, and I’m aware that full gable wall drying may take years. Property built around 1890, 3-4 feet stone walls (gable now saturated), with lathe and plaster finish and beautiful intact cornice detail above the affected wall.

I wish to re-instate the internal walls asap, and much of the plaster I have removed, as it was either damp or mould stained. The lathe (partly damp in places) is sound and well fixed to the stonework, which continues to dry out.

I would be grateful for any advice on how best to re-instate this, should I sheet (plasterboard) on top of the lathe, should I use some sort of membrane behind the plasterboard to prevent damp ingress from the drying gable.

Any advice here, many thanks

Sponsored Links
3 - 4 FEET THICK! JEEPERS! :eek:

I don't think there is a precedent for such a large mass of solid masonry. As you rightly pointed out, it may take a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back