Water seaping from waste stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for a little advice. I've noticed that where my outside waste stack meets the ground, a small amount of water is seeping out. As the stack reaches ground level, there appears to be some sort of joint. To the eye it looks fine but clearly something isn't right as water appears every day now.

Can anybody advise on how to investigate the problem further. Is it likely to be a leaking joint, or a blockage which is causing the problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Looks like someone has grafted in a joint in plastic to add another W.C., top section above the porch roof is still cast iron. I'd ensure this is adequately supported, there is a lot of weight there!

As to leak, the collar on the clay pipe at the foot of the stack is cracked, chances there the clay is knackered. Long term solution is to excavate and expose the clay pipe and replace the damaged sections. Fernco couplings (similar to that used where iron and plastic are joined above ground) will adapt from different materials.

If you've any doubt about the integrity of the top section of cast, i'd remove the remainder and replace with plastic, top and bottom. You can then replace damaged drain in plastic and make one connection to the existing clayware.

A bloackage would usually cause other symptoms, water filling the pan when flushed and slowly subsiding, and I would suspect a lot more water leaking. Check manholes are running clear if in any doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back