Water seeping through exterior wall. Suggest best fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello All

i have recently moved into a new house. its a 1960's build link detached - with the garage added some time after the original build

The rear wall of the garage is a single layer of concrete breezeblocks standing directly on the concrete hardstanding of the back yard

the blocks are pretty porous - so i have some moisture coming through the garage wall at ground level when it rains.

historically this space was just a coal bunker - so it wasn't much of an issue - but i have plans to turn that area at the rear of the garage into more of a useable space - and would like to stop the moisture getting through

I don't want to take the wall down and start again as its not my forever home and funds are tight - so cost-effective solutions would be best

suggestions / options, please

Attachments

• wall.JPG
    wall.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Dig a trench behind the wall, drain the water away. Find out where it is coming from, such as a stream, downpipe or gutter, and fix it.

Leave the ground level below the internal floor and the external slab. It might still be damp but at least water will not run inside.

Prevent rain from falling or running onto the edge of the slab, if exposed.

Thanks for the rapid response and suggestions JohnD

fortunately its just some damp at ground level inside - no standing water to drain away

the floor in the garage is below the level of the concrete outside by about 2 inches - - not much i can do about that

similarly - the slab of concrete outside is approx. 25 feet across by 8 feet - so changing its level up or down would be a massive expensive job

covering that area is also not viable - for similar reasons - however, it drains away from the house reasonably well - its just any residual wetness or splashing seems to be able to seep through the breezeblocks and make the floor in the first few feet of the garage damp

i was hoping something like rendering the wall - perhaps with additives to improve its water resistance - and then maybe painting it for more weather resistance - or doing a bit more at the bottom 12 inches - like some flashing of some sort might be enough

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back