Water service pipe route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s a long shot, but just wondering if some one could shed any light on this issue.

The bend at the base of my soil stack was cracked badly and water used to come inside the house, as the pointing of the bricks got damaged over time. I have now fixed the pipe. But the hole is still not filled, so I guess some rain water could still come through there. This is just the back ground, my real concern is: could it be possible that main water service pipe is also leaking. Because the area in between blue lines looks wetter on some days. I know it will be hard to be sure about the source till the hole outside is filled. But is it possible to know the route of the service pipe. What is more likely, it going under the house or running on the outside and then turning near the point of entry? Just wondering if there is a standard route water company’s use for service pipes.

Hope the picture makes some sense.

Sponsored Links
Usually take the shortest possible route from stoptap to where it enters the house. If its lead then could possibly be leaking, any service pipe should be around 750mm deep to avoid frost problems.

A leak is always a possibility if an old service pipe, lead, iron, copper, or even plastic, has been disturbed by excavating the soil pipe rest bend.
Most lead pipes are now of such an age that they could spring a leak if you just look at them a bit funny.

It is often possible to hear an underground leak by holding a stick on a pipe fitting or valve, or even on the ground near where you suspect the leak to be, and holding the other end against your ear. If you hear a noise, try again a little later. If the noise is still the same, the chances are it's a leak (normal use causes noises too, but they are intermittent. Leaks make a constant noise).

Water pipes are usually amongst the first things installed on a building site, often before even the foundations are laid, so a straight line route is most likely.

If the service pipe has been renewed, or the house is so old it never had mains water laid in when it was built, the pipe could take any route that was practical at the time it was laid.

Sponsored Links
The pipe is copper from the point it appears from below the ground in the kitchen. Not sure what it is underground. Some of the internal plumbing in the house was lead.

Guess I have to fill the hole outside and then see if it dries out. Don't want to dig any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back