Water shoots out over overflow when boiler starts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gents,

An old lady we know has the above problem can you advise please.

Sponsored Links
Has the boiler just been fitted/ has it done this from day 1.

If the answer to the above question is no, then her heating is dangerously faulty and needs urgent attention.

Sponsored Links
Oldone said:
Hi Gents,

An old lady we know has the above problem can you advise please.
Is the pump positioned correctly? It is possible for pumping over to occur if the feed and vent pipes are separated by the pump. Check the configuation of the system, most modern systems use the H configuration with the pump positioned to give positive pressure. But, as someone already asked - has the system previously worked? And if yes, what has been changed?

Why is it dangerous ?

Ok I concede it is unlikely but if the overflow is from any kind of unvented system it suggests the expansion vessel is failing, this means the potensially explosive system is one safety feature down. Plus the overflow will producing scalding hot water.

If expansion of water in the cold water cistern is causing it to overflow then as I'm sure you are aware from the recent case in the media, a plastic cold water cistern full of boiling water can be fatal.

If the overflow pipe becomes blocked by freezing, the poor old dear might have that sodden lime plaster ceiling come down on her head while she's standing at the top of the stairs.

etc, etc.

Overflow in question is on a CH installation which is open vented

Gents

Thanks for all your comments.

yes the system has been in for a while and i can only assume the fault has been a fairly recent occurence . The pipe is the 22mm expansion going into the CH header tank.

The 3 port valve has been playing up as was sticking , I freed it recently and fitted a new Horstmann programmer which was also duff.

The system electrics are all going to be replaced with new as I intend to fit new controls soon. It was while I was in the loft sorting out the 3 port valve I noticed the expansion problem.

The old lady had previously been told by a plumber it was the ball valve not turning off which was causing the overflow problem.

We all know different !!

Your help and comments are very much appreciated.

Maybe I missed something here but I'm still not sure why the F&E cistern should overflow. :oops:

feed and expansion
the tank that holds the water for the heating
if the level falls it feeds more in
when it gets hot it takes up the exess :D

You didn't miss anything the plumber assumed it was the ball valve without investigating the situation.

I'd still love to know why the F&E (CH header tank) cistern is overflowing if it is not the ball valve. Sorry if I am being thick here, I still don't understand the cause of the overflow. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back