Water sitting against wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for advice. I moved into my house around two years ago. When we have quite a bit of rain, the water just sits on the path, against the wall, under my living room window. In the picture you can see greenery from next door but this isn't what is stopping the water. I have cleared all of this and it still sits. My concern is the water causing damp in my living room. So far, there is no damp and I recently replaced the skirting and found the walls to be dry. Is there anything i can do to get the water to drain? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
IMG_20231106_102534427_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Given your low liying house position installing french drains etc might not work. You could cut a 150mm x 150mm trench against the retaining wall and install a topping of concrete to slope away from the house to the trench?

It looks like you've got cavity walls but no signs of air bricks for a suspended floor. Is your floor solid? When you removed the skirting did you see any plastic membrane behind the skirting?
Bottom brick courses look like some earlier owner had some injection holes holes drilled for some kind of chemical dpc? Maybe they've worked?

One solution, might be to drill a series of holes along the concrete, then refill the holes with coarse sand. You would need an SDS drill and drill bit for that, but it wouldn't take long - couple of minutes per hole. How well it works, will depend upon the sub soil.

Bottom brick courses look like some earlier owner had some injection holes holes drilled for some kind of chemical dpc? Maybe they've worked?

You must have better eyes than me. I can't see any injection holes.

Sponsored Links
Where is the nearest drain? If there is one, you could relay the concrete with a slope towards that.

Hi, I'm looking for advice. I moved into my house around two years ago. When we have quite a bit of rain, the water just sits on the path, against the wall, under my living room window. In the picture you can see greenery from next door but this isn't what is stopping the water. I have cleared all of this and it still sits. My concern is the water causing damp in my living room. So far, there is no damp and I recently replaced the skirting and found the walls to be dry. Is there anything i can do to get the water to drain? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
View attachment 322771
Where is the nearest rain-water pipe?

Don't bother drilling holes - they will soon clog and become useless.

However, as a quick temporary fix, it will work just fine, until something more permanent can be arranged.
A temporary fix is sweep the water elsewhere, not drill some holes, which will clog up and then after they've clogged up will ...................... be utterly useless. What then? Drill some more?

Better photos showing the wider area/context and where the boundary is would be helpful.

If I see it correctly, the dpc seems to be on the third course.
In that case, unless water goes over that level, it won't affect the enterior.
Given that everything has been built properly.
As a solution, as you have 3 courses showing, you could install paving and slope it away from the wall.

A temporary fix is sweep the water elsewhere, not drill some holes, which will clog up and then after they've clogged up will ...................... be utterly useless. What then? Drill some more?

You are over egging it a bit. The holes in the concrete will work, and continue to work, even when eventually they may become choked - they just will not work as well as they did when first drilled, but they will work. The only way to completely prevent them working will be to seal them up - it's called permeability. Just as a drive laid with blocks satisfies the description of permeability.

How do I know it will work? Because I resolved a similar problem in the path, at the back of my house, several years ago, and it still works fine, for the limited amount of water which collected there.

Thank you to everyone for all the info. Here are a few more pictures.
IMG_20231128_124111414.jpg
IMG_20231128_124102428.jpg
IMG_20231128_124055788.jpg

Looks like you have drainage on the left side of the photo. If you redo the concrete with a slope away from the wall and towards the left, the existing drainage should take care of it. Currently you have a slope towards the right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back