Water supply pipe depth - how fussy are water companies?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
I've laid a new water supply but there are a few sections which are 700mm deep rather than 750mm which is unavoidable.
Do they measure the entire length or are they pretty pragmatic and do it by eye?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the company angian water inspectors are mustard I can remember an inspector coming into a job I was on and checked all the joints to make sure what solder I was using he went across the road and banjoed the plumbers there cost em loads.Bob these blokes have more power
than customs.

Get some turf and lay it where needed to get that extra 50mm(y)

The old pipe was laid on the footings (150mm down), and I cut a new channel that went down just a foot, wrapped it in 3" insulation, and then covered it back up, and recemented the pathway. The water pipe was only 150mm down below the surface, so they'd have had a bit of an argument saying I had to go lower.

It never got inspected, and I doubt if there'll be a problem, but if you've got a jobsworth, then all you can do is smile, be polite (and a little grovelling) and see what he'll let you get away with.

Sponsored Links
My copper feed is only ~400mm below ground level and uninsulated. the 750mm must be a standard that's good for the north but probably an overkill for the tropical south.
The inspector has signed it off so all good.
Seemed quite relaxed about it and just eyed it. Good bloke.
Gave some great advice too which will save some dosh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back