water supply pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a new water supply pipe laid which is about 1 Kilometre in length (about 5/8ths of a mile). The mains are on higher land than our property, so flow will be predominantly downhill. The contractor has suggested a 32mm bore but I am now worrying that this may be too big and 25mm might be better and put less pressure on the faucets (outlets/taps) in the house and garden. Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
The size of the pipe is completely irrelevant in terms of static pressure. If the price of installing a 32 pipe is not significantly more than 25mm then I would suggest you opt for the larger of the two and benefit from better flow rate.

If the pressure at the house is too great then you will need to fit a PRV of some sort.

I'd fit 32mm, there will be a bit of flow restriction over that length of run, 32mm should combat this nicely

Sponsored Links
The longer the pipe the more frictional losses will occur which will hamper flow.

Go for the biggest pipe consistent with maintaining a decent flow rate.

Talk to the water company's engineering department for advice ....although my own experience is that SWW are pretty useless when it comes to getting new connections made!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back