Water supply size into 8 flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if this set up is normal. I am thinking of buying an older house converted to 8 flats in the 90's.

The water feed comes in through the cellar and is in new Mdpe pipe. Now i didnt go and measure the size of the pipe but it is definitely bigger than 32mm and i am thinking from memory it maybe around 50mm in size.

The pipe then feeds a homemade manifold board which tee's off into 8 x 15mm feeds all with stop cocks.

Where the water comes into each flat there is a water meter. So all flats pay their own water bills.

It has been running for years and so i assume there are no problems, but i am just wondering if this set up is normal or could i be looking at some upgrade in the future ?

Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a pretty standard set up as long as everybody is happy with their flow and pressure.

Ok, do you know what is the minimum size the supply pipe needs to be for 8 single flats ? So 8 bathrooms and 8 kitchens.

Just worried the size might be to small. I really need to go back to do a check.

into each flat there is a water meter. So all flats pay their own water bills.
a homemade manifold board

Does each flat have their own account with the Water Company or do they pay water "bills" to a third person ( Freeholder / Manager / Landlord ) who has a single account with the Water Company based on a meter in the street.

If water is being re-sold then there could be complications when you buy the house.

Sponsored Links
No with the water company.

the electric on the other hand is being done from one meter and all the flats have a coin payment meter. I am looking at changing this to a prepayment meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back