Water supply to bath taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently fitting a new bath and using the existing 22mm pipes for both the hot and cold water. (There are 15mm T's to feed the sink and WC) and this has been fine for many years.

I am considering replacing my boiler with a combi in the next 6 months.

Will I need to replace the 22mm pipework and bath taps with 15mm in order to connect to the system or can the 15mm supply from the new combi boiler be connected to the 22mm pipes via reducers.

Would this method cause a pressure drop at the taps.

I'm sure the fitter will be able to advise but I'd like to check its being done properly.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be a problem with pressure. Main problem will be the amount of water wastage and time delay between the hot water leaving the boiler and reaching the taps.

A metre of 22mm pipe has over twice the volume of 15mm pipe. Hence it will take twice as long to wait for hot water and use twice as much cold water, plus the fact that when you turn the tap off, twice the amount of heated water will cool down in the pipe and count for wasted energy.

Over a short run, it's negligible, but only you know the distances involved.

Thanks. The 22mm section of pipe is approx 1800mm. Its the only section I won't be able to replace without major disruption.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back