Water tank in attic overflowing intermittently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've noticed that the overflow seems to be leaking, but I think it's only happening at night/early morning. Sometimes I go outside first thing (around 7am) and see it dripping. I swear that if I run the hot water for a bit then the dripping stops. Need to test this further, but the floor only seems to be wet in the morning and not seen it drip in the day or evening (however I'm out at work during the day!). Does this make any sense to anyone why this might be happening? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most common fault with a hot water system feed tank.

The float valve probably isn't shutting off completely and so slowly fills the tank. During the day as water is used it doesn't reach the top and overflow, but after longer periods when water isn't being used it slowly fills up and so overflows. Using some hot water will cause the water level to drop and the overflow stops dripping.

A quick inspection of the tank will reveal if the valve is dripping and a new washer is usually all that is required.

They come in various sizes. But the good news is that they are cheap, and only take a few minutes to change.

Last edited:
Awesome thanks guys, much appreciated - I'll take a look. So this will be a constant dripping into the tank? Where would the washer be?? On the ball value itself?

Sponsored Links
It's not a ball valve, it's a float valve, but that's my fault because that's what I originally called it. (I'm working on a project with some ball valves presently and got confused :whistle:)

How to get at it depends on the type, here are a couple of examples. There is a cap, or cover that needs to be removed to access it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

With the lower example, the split pin that provides the pivot point for the arm will need to be removed also.

Obviously turn off the water supply to the tank before dismantling the ball cock.

( I do know some one who didn't turn the water off. The new ceiling was expensive )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back