Water tight underground chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing some of the small 12v led marker lights up some steps in the garden. The problem I have is the transformer is a plug, but must be kept in doors. Has anyone used a box or junction box that I could bury in the surface of the garden that is water tight that I could install the power? Another option is a new transformer that I can use outdoors? But how do I size one cause I can't find anything with the same output.

Regards,
Ant

Sponsored Links
There is nowhere to put the box? What was your thoughts?

Ant

If at all possible I would try and find a place to hide a box above ground and include a drain hole in the bottom of the box. Over time seals often leak and if there is nowhere for the water to drain to even a very slight leak can end up with a box full of water.

Sponsored Links
extend the (extra)low-voltage wire between the transformer and the first light with waterproof connectors. Cheaper and safer than taking mains outdoors.

I have armoured cable going towards it; but I suppose I could run the low voltage back towards the shed in some conduit.

With regards sealing the box I'd use the appropriate IP rated glands.

Ant

What glands, particularly for the ELV cable, are appropriately rated for being permanently under half a meter of water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back