water too hot checklist

I turned the whole lot off using the isolator spur and left it for well over an hour. Switched it back on leaving only HW on at the programmer, sprinted downstairs to the kitchen to see if the boiler had fired and it HADN'T. I turned the hot tap on and sure enough the water was still scalding! Then the boiler fired up.

Sponsored Links
Ok, so now I have just turned everything off again and this time ran the hot tap til all hot water gone. All pipes and cylinder now cool totouch, turned it all back on again and the boiler fired up more or less simultaneously. I set the temp on the cylinder stat to between 60 and 70deg. There was a small amount of play when physically moving the stat, so I jiggled it a bit, but it seems reasonably well fixed to the tank. Will leave it to heat water for half hour and see if I burn my hand under the tap (again).

The hot water now appears to be........HOT!
Hallelujah, I can actually hold my hand under the tap for at least a few seconds without being burned. I guess the old chestnut of turning it off & on did the trick :LOL: I hope I wont be re posting this particular gripe :oops: . My best guess is that the cylinder stat just needed a bit of jiggling and it now appears to be working fine. Thank you to everyone that participated in this post, I really appreciate your comments and input.

I should have kept my mouth shut ! Same problem yet again :cry: :cry:
Anyone recommend a plumber in Rainham?

Sponsored Links
Plumber has changed valve and that seems to have sorted it. But now the boiler is making a banging noise whenever the heating is switched off. Could this be air in the system, post valve change? Plumber said he'll have a look tomorrow. Boiler has never made any weird noises before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back