water trickling into toilet bowl when cistern refilling then stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it a problem?
Been using this loo for 10 years and over the last week a bit of water has continued to trickle into the bowl when the toilet has finished flushing but the cistern is still refilling.
Does it mean the seal between the cistern and the bowl is on its way out? Is it called a flush valve seal?

Sponsored Links
Does water stop running into bowl after a short while , cistern then fills normally ? Or does it continue to run perpetually into pan even when cistern has stopped filling ?

Does water stop running into bowl after a short while , cistern then fills normally ? Or does it continue to run perpetually into pan even when cistern has stopped filling ?

Only when cistern filling. Perhaps the weight of the water is pushing the seal down?

Is it a problem?
Been using this loo for 10 years and over the last week a bit of water has continued to trickle into the bowl when the toilet has finished flushing but the cistern is still refilling.
Does it mean the seal between the cistern and the bowl is on its way out? Is it called a flush valve seal?
It will probably slowly get worse.

Sponsored Links
If the water eventually stops running into the bowl it sounds like the drop valve is not closing as quickly as it should. Maybe just worn ,or not moving freely enough. So its probably time to replace it . if the seal fails ,water will permanently run into the pan ,very slowly at first ,and sometimes not easy to see at all. Had a customer recently whose metered water bill had doubled from the previous year.despite having dispute with the water co. And them sending engineers to check meter etc, I was engaged to check it out. The washer had failed in WC and water ran permanently into the pan ,she couldn't see it ,even when stood next to me and I was pointing it out to her. Had to dry the pan and place dry tissue paper there to convince her !!!

If the water eventually stops running into the bowl it sounds like the drop valve is not closing as quickly as it should. Maybe just worn ,or not moving freely enough. So its probably time to replace it . if the seal fails ,water will permanently run into the pan ,very slowly at first ,and sometimes not easy to see at all. Had a customer recently whose metered water bill had doubled from the previous year.despite having dispute with the water co. And them sending engineers to check meter etc, I was engaged to check it out. The washer had failed in WC and water ran permanently into the pan ,she couldn't see it ,even when stood next to me and I was pointing it out to her. Had to dry the pan and place dry tissue paper there to convince her !!!
Quickest way to find the leak that is, show`s up fast and customer can then understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back