water will not stop!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting new shower.

Managed to turn off hot water (gate valve in airing cupboard)

Turned the tap under the sink fully clockwise thinking it would turn off cold water - running taps and water's still coming through.

SHould it stop automatically? If not, how long until water is drained. Been running for 10 mins and still goming out with same force (only a small 2 bed house)

Have I missed something?

Sponsored Links
If I'm honest - no!

Haven't been up in the loft as access to tank is difficult.

If it is fed, how will I know and what should I do? Is there a tap on the tank to turn off?

Surely if it is tank fed, once I've turned off the water and run the taps, there will be no more water in the tank as its not being fed as the mains is off?

Sponsored Links
It will be empty after you have run about a bathful out, provided that you have turned off the incoming water main supply.

If water is till coming out of the sink cold water tap, at considerable pressure, then you have not turned off the incoming supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back