Watering down paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Have got some new plaster to paint. I am going to water down white emulsion 50/50.

When it comes to the top coat of emulsion in the colour we choose do people water this down?

Maybe 25%?

We had decorators recently and noticed they might have done this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It often states on the back of the emulsion pot what quantity of water to use. I think Leyland Contract Matt states 10% water for the mist coat.

Last edited:
As Bonni says, follow the advice on the tin.

The thinner the paint more the splatter you will get. As a pro, I hate getting paint on myself and the flooring.

I have never understood why anyone would use a 50/50 mix. Last week I painted new plaster in my client's extension using white Dulux Trade matt emulsion mixed with 10% of water by volume. I rolled and over rolled in one hit, ie one and half coats. Although it was only the first coat, it looked acceptable when I left at the end of the day. The cutting required three coats but the walls only needed one further coat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back