Watering systems: DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the glorious weather we've been having, and the sudden urge many of us have had to get all green fingered, me and 'she who must be obeyed' got all creative in our garden... hanging baskets etc.

Because we both work all day, and suffer from the 'did you water the plants?', 'no... did you?' scenario, we decided to get a watering system and plumb it in.

We looked around and opted for initially the cheapest model. But the problem is, it's absolutely awful!

Took about 4 hours to set it all up (it consists of 4mm tubing, T-connectors, terminators, soakers and in-line soakers) and after turning the tap on, we get what can only be described as a 'drip' from most of the soakers.

Even terminating at the first soaker, all we get is a drip.

Can anyone recommend a better system, as the current one is not only below expectations, but also practically useless!

We've looked at soaker hoses, but most of our requirements are boxes, pots and baskets as opposed to planted areas.

Sponsored Links
Is all your piping 4mm ? You should run a feeder hose round your plot, usually a black plastic which is about 12mm dia. you feed off from this down your 4mm pipe to your drippers etc. ( what make is it ? ).

The whole system is 4mm. It was bought from a local gardening store, and is NOT the cheapest one they did.

The only criteria (which I adhered to ) was that the first 'soaker' was higher than the rest, and was at no more than 15m of the water source.

I can't recall a 'big name' brand name on the kit, and the box and instructions are history by now.

I am quite prepared to rip it out and start again.

The kit came in a cardboard 'suitcase' with all fittings and 30m or so of pipe. There were 10 of each 'soaker' type. The whole thing was around £30, if that's any indication.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
soaker hose is meant to only drip

got a pic?

It's NOT a soaker hose. The 'soakers' I refer to are little end pieces to the pipe system. They look like about the size of a tiddly-wink with a hole at one edge.

:D

I would suggest you get a hozelock kit They do various types for different situations (baskets, borders etc.). But watch which kit you pick up, they do do extension kits which don't include the main 12mm feeder hose that you branch from. But don't throw your old kit as you may be able to utilise it.
See HERE

here's a daft question for you....

You did flush the system through with an open end?

Often drippers get blocked. I've also known crap to get into large bore pipr and block. snails like to drag themselves in if it's left in the garden overnight.

I often install with live system, you then see the water coming through. Great on a hot day and you could almost imagine being on the beach with a nice fine sea spray.

Take a dripper off and you should have a good flow, if not check the little filter on top of the timer. If in doubt connect direct and test that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back