Irrigation for my Garden at under £30-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I find this forum great for other topics but my first garden "post" ;o)

We have around a 70ft x 30 ft garden with mature shrubs on all edges etc. I've spent far too long standing outside watering it over the year so ....

What is the cheapest, best and easiest watering system I could use. I was thinking of some sort of pipe with holes in - I've seen a few eg hose soakers, sprinkler hoses etc but they are FAR too small eg 7m or far too expensive. Wanted something no more than £40.

I need something around 50M (70 + 70 + 30 /3 ????) that I want to connect to an outside tap and leave for eg 1 hour

Or do I get a 50M ordinary "hoselock" type hose and drill holes every 3 ft into it?

Any help????

Thanks!

Moderator 3

I've deleted posts under the rules 22) No "Time wasting" posts

Sponsored Links
Have you priced up a proprietary system to see if it comes in under your budget?

Not quite sure what you mean by proprietary system? but I haven't got a quote as such from any company or any specific system etc - I dont think this would be anything like £50 - will it?

Im just a little confused as you what exactly the best option for hoses. Should I use a "sprinkler hose" - if I can find a 50M one...? or do you get a 50M (or 2 x 25M) hose with holes in already for this purpose - excuse my ignorance.

BTW - A sprinkler simply doesn't cover the area as it needs a decent water pressure - I tried a Hozelock one and was crap to say the least. Even then I would have to move it around every 10 mins.

a hose with holes in will struggle unless youve got decent water pressure. have alook at the hozelock systems. they do complete kits for gardens in most of the sheds quite cheaply. Also worth a look on fleabay as quite a few people sell them on there.

Sponsored Links
The shrubs in your borders ought to be able to withstand dry periods without feeling too much stress as their roots will be deeper. So you won’t need to water them every week, unless you’ve just put them in and this is their first season. Bedding plants, are, of course, a different issue as their roots are shallow and will need careful watering. One alternative is to not bother with bedding plants in your borders at all. To compensate you could have a few tubs or baskets which will be easier to control.

If you want to go ahead and install a diy irrigation system then the choice is endless. You could buy, say, 50 or 100 metres of LDPE pipe (13mm or 16mm) and lay this in the borders. Holes will be punched in this pipe at appropriate places and small sprinklers placed into these holes. These sprinklers can then be fine-tuned so that they will dispense the water where it is needed. Half circle vari-jets are ideal for this. The LDPE pipe can be connected to an outside tap or, if the tap is not near the borders, to an ordinary garden hose using a nut and tail and male adaptor. Make sure you buy enough elbows, tee fittings etc. Plan ahead. You should be able to get what you want for about £40-£50. Stay away from the so-called 'complete systems' as they are not good value.

There are a lot of websites selling this equipment so do a search and you should find all you need, Stay away from City Irrigation.

Stan

Moderator 3 said:
Yes, and you deleted some others too. :rolleyes:

cardob00 said:
Not quite sure what you mean by proprietary system? but I haven't got a quote as such from any company or any specific system etc - I dont think this would be anything like £50 - will it?
I don't know. You claimed to have priced up a system already - what was that system, and how much was the price?

If you tell us then we can work out how much needs to be shaved off in order to come within your budget.

Moderator 3 said:
Is this a new rule - I've not noticed this before.
Moderator 3, no it's not
Seems to me under that rule, a moderator can basically do what they want to anyone's post without so much as an explaination, comment, kiss me ar$e nor nowt.
I have explained it :confused: , it was time wasting posts
In the case of the moderation in this thread, it wasn't really warranted. All you do by this type of action is get people's backs up.
So tell me, where is cardob00 now :?: Softus already got cardob00 back up :!:
I suppose this post will be deemed "wasting time" and will be deleted now cause perish the thought we can't have an opinion about the moderation of these forums. :rolleyes: By rule 22, 90% of posts in general discussion can be seen as wasting time.
Yes that's true but doesn't really matter in the general discussion does it :?:
Moderation is needed on this site but over moderation due to bank holiday boredom is not. Get real.
It wasn't over moderation because did you see all the posts that was deleted :?:

Moderators can do exactly what they like - that's the whole problem.

So let's say that a moderator, entirely hypothetically of course, gets a bee in his/her bonnet/flat cap about someone/something; well he/she doesn't have to control his/her temper, but can just run riot without any accountability.

But that doesn't happen in reality, because all moderators are highly trained, and exercise more self-control than a battalion of Bruce Lees.

I wonder why ban-all-sheds left, though. :confused:

Moderator 4

this post was originally commented on by me. variuos replies had been made especially by you softus which were sarcastic and did nothing to help the original poster in his question. It was quite obvious that little information had been posted but the tone of the post quickly degenerated, despite a polite and playful warning to tone things down. You then chose to edit that warning out of your post. Further action was taken by Mod 3 before i had a chance to do anything else.

i think perhaps you should reflect on the tone of your posts and any bees you may have had in your bonnet with the original poster. It did nothing to add to the forum nor to the subject matter of the topic, and neither did any of his answers. This is not a schoolyard, its a forum thats run to try to help people. Sometimes humour and banter is used to good effect and sometimes it can start getting out of hand adding nothing to the forum. Two moderators both independently took that view.

Ive now locked this post as i dont see anything of value coming from this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back