DIY Sprinkler system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is around 50 x 10m I have a hoselock oscillating sprinkler from the house end which works ok but the one down the other end (as hose isn't long enough) is pretty poor. The water feed down the far end I installed is fine for filling buckets and watering cans but not so great for sprinklers. I also don't like the inefficiency of having to go an manually move the sprinkler as with small kids it's easy to get distracted and forget

Ideally I would like to install a shallow buried pipe or hose with 3-4 sprinklers in a chain that would sit under the hedge on the perimeter. I could then use a time to put them on for a short time each day.

I've had a look online and honestly not sure where to start. Can all the sprinklers run off a single hose? I don't want to bury multiple length or will their pressure be awful?

I guess my main questions are:

1. Can I buy a length of 50m garden hose and daisy chain a group of sprinklers (I do have 45m of blue 50mm poly pipe hanging around that I could use)
2. Are there certain types of sprinklers that perform better in this scenario
3. Is it foolish to think I can run all this off a single connection

Thanks in advance for your patience and pointers.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A drip irrigation system / soaker hose might work better than sprinklers if pressure is low.
What is this for? A border?

A drip irrigation system / soaker hose might work better than sprinklers if pressure is low.
What is this for? A border?

No this is for my lawn, so it needs to cover quite a large area. I have a drip/irrigation set-up in some borders that works well but would like a permanent solution for the lawn if possible

Perhaps get in touch with the head greenkeeper at your local golf club - they should know a bit about such systems and maybe point you towards suppliers etc.
The guy at my local club was really great when I asked him about drainage - and I'm not a golfer or member

Sponsored Links
You won't run them all at the same time and get a decent flow thats for sure. If you used timers on branches as you suggested you could cycle each on and off along the run in combinations that gave the best results

I set up our old garden with Claber pop up sprinklers for the lawn and misters in the flower beds. They are amazing, affordable, easy to install and stick them on a cheap timer and they transform your garden in a matter of weeks. I will be doing the same set up in the new place without a doubt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back