Fire Sprinkler System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a annex building which is at the bottom of the garden. It has water, electric and a pleasant habitable space.

I wanted to bolster the safety provision in here. It has a mains powered smoke alarm and I wanted to add a fire sprinkler system. The room is around 6mX6m and has a loft void for pipes etc. I could quite easily route through pipes in the loft void and have them feeding ceiling mounted sprinklers which I understand, activate at very high temperatures.

Can I please hve some advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why have you decided sprinklers is your option of choice?
Saw a YouTube video where they were demonstrating the effectiveness of them. I am also reasonably handy with plumbing and thought that it may be an interesting DIY project.

If you are going down that route, suggest you look at Mist Fire Suppression, uses less water and thus causes less water damage if triggered.

Ken

Sponsored Links
If you are going down that route, suggest you look at Mist Fire Suppression, uses less water and thus causes less water damage if triggered.

Ken
Is there a brand that you recommend for this use? Also, can you talk me through the install process please. Is it a case of connecting up to the water mains using hep20 and terminating into the sprinklers?

Thanks again

you cant use Hep2o if you actually had a fire it would melt the Hep and you wouldnt get any water at the sprinklers

Can I please have some more advice on this. A few pointers as to what I could use and the fitting process.

Thanks again

Other than the smoke detector and fire blanket, can you suggest any other fire preventative measures please?

instead , why dont you say what your actual concerns are, and what you are trying to protect , Is it a grow ?

instead , why dont you say what your actual concerns are, and what you are trying to protect , Is it a grow ?
:sneaky:
I can see how you came to that judgement!
As I said initially, it's an annexe away from the house (around 15 metres) and we use it for habitable purposes. In the event of fire (may or may not be occupied at the time), I want to make it as safe as possible.
I thought the sprinklers may be a good addition.

I am sure that the Fire Prevention Officer at you local fire station would be prepared to offer you advice about sprinkler systems in domestic properties.

Many would expect sprinklers in a domestic situation to be overkill unless there was a very specific need. I tend to agree.

Good fire prevention and early warning is most likely the better solution. Alarms, ensuring the electrics are all safe etc. Extinguisher on hand.

If you wanted that extra bit of protection. These could be a neat solution.

https://simplyextinguishers.co.uk/automatic-extinguishers/

Self contained, cheap, and can be placed in an area of concern. They may be an ideal solution if you want to be over cautious.

I also remember reading, somewhere sometime, that mains fed sprinkler systems have to have ongoing maintenance due to the water stagnating in the pipes, as there is the chance of legionnaires developing. Although the risks may be low. It's something to check-up on (I may be wrong on this last point, as I can't remember where I saw it.)

What's in this annex that's so prone to catching fire? Cheap Indesits/Beko fridges, dryers etc?
A rational mindset will do more for safety...I've got a whole bunch of loopy customers that make bizarre choices on the grounds they will be safer :)

What's in this annex that's so prone to catching fire? Cheap Indesits/Beko fridges, dryers etc?
A rational mindset will do more for safety...I've got a whole bunch of loopy customers that make bizarre choices on the grounds they will be safer :)
Consumer unit, electric shower, fridge, electric cooker, iron, dehumidifier, storage heater - to mention a few.

I already have an Aico mains powered smoke detector, thumb turn lock, fire blanket. Planning to have an EICR done too. Was looking for additional belt-and-brace measures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back