Sprinkler System instead of protected escape route

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

For some time I've been racking my brains as to how I convert our loft while keeping Building Control happy about the fire protected escape route. Our ground floor to downstairs staircase is pretty much open plan, and boxing it off is going to result in loads of lost room. I spoke to Building Control some time ago about whether a domestic sprinkler system would be acceptable. I was told it was, but it's not commonplace in domestic situations.

I've just read that in Wales sprinkler systems are compulsory in all new builds, and it's hoped the rest of the UK will adopt this policy. I read somewhere that it would cost anywhere from £1000-£3000 to install a sprinkler system in an average sized 3 bedroom, house. Could it be that domestic sprinkler systems are going to come down in price over the coming years due to their demand in domestic situations?

I'm very much liking the idea of using a sprinkler system (even if just for the safety side of things around the rest of the house), what do you lot think....is it all pros, or are there any cons to this plan? :D

Sponsored Links
The only con is the cost really. When it is maybe the only solution that a BCO will accept other than changing a house partition layout it may seem more attractive. Do not forget that should the worst happen and a fire start there will be massive quantities of steam and the fire may not immediately be subdued. That said, I recall reading once that there has never been a fire related death caused in a dwelling where sprinkles were fitted.

Personally I think sprinklers will become mandatory in all new dwellings although maybe not for a while. The cost of their fitment in new-builds will undoubtedly fall however I suspect that their retro-fitment cost will not drop significantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back