Sprinkler system + electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just watching "Carry on Girls", which ends with a fire sprinkler system going off in a building whilst Babs Windsor wobbles about saying something along the lines of "You are saucy!" and "isn't it a big one".

Now, this made me think: buildings that have sprinkler systems, do they need special electrical protection? I realise sprinklers are almost exclusively public and commercial buildings rather than domestic houses, so are likely to have somewhat more esoteric protection devices than an RCD.

So, what kind of protection would you need in this case, and would there be a problem with the emergency lighting systems on the floor below if they got water in them?

I really should get out more! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Don't care about your sprinkler system (Oooh err missus!) but mentioning carry on with Babs has given me food for thought and brought out the Finbarr Saunders again, who is never far from the surface.....!

Talking of sprinkler systems, just remember not to fiddle with the end or it will spurt all over the place with no warning!

I'll do a proper reply in the morning..but esentially there is no diference.

AdamW said:
...I realise sprinklers are almost exclusively public and commercial buildings rather than domestic houses,...
Only because people think that they aren't suitable for houses, and have all those film images of a fire causing every sprinkler in the building to go off.

FWL's OTT wiring fetishist missed a trick when he did that total overhall.

See these folks to find out what a good idea domestic sprinklers are:

here

Sponsored Links
The firesprinklers people website must be down. I tried the link, didn't work so tried Google thinking it might be a slightly wrong link but the link was fine.

All I can imagine is one of their sprinklers malfunctioned and emptied itself over their web server! ;)

This is seriously weird. I even checked my ISP support page to see if their webservers/connections are having problems but none are listed. Everything else on the net is fine.

Perhaps the website has blocked me from using it after associating sprinklers with Ms. Windsor? :LOL:

Dooooooh! Why I oughta!!!

[RANT] I have a very good PC I'll have you know, DIY'ed by own fair hands. The benefit of being a paper-pusher all day is that my hands remain fairy-soft and I can handle all the fiddly little bits that go into a computer. I'll have you know that my CPU heatsink weighs nearly 700g and is the heatsink equivalent of the custom-made mega-shower! And the whole PC will be next-to silent once I fork out £150 for a passively cooled PSU!!!! This is a machine designed for speed AND silent operation. BAAH!!!!

[/RANT]

Must just be the fire sprinklers website too slow to keep up with my PC. :p

Well I got them beat. I used the google cache to see the page. HAH! :evil:

Definitely your PC........you best go out and buy a Vtech from Toys'R'us, thats probably faster than your :evil:

il78 said:
Definitely your PC........you best go out and buy a Vtech from Toys'R'us, thats probably faster than your :evil:

Surely you mean Toys'Я'Us. Oh how whimsical the back to front R is. Inspiring joy, just as the idiot who named "Plumbcenter".

Still, I love nothing better than a Saturday afternoon in Toys'Я'Us. Unfortunately er indoors never lets me buy anything! :D

Hmmm, seems unicode isn't fully supported. Bum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back