Domestic fire sprinkler systems - any experience?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if this is the right forum, but seemed the best match.

I am having a loft conversion done, and had the designer round recently.

To cut a long story short, all seems fine BUT I don't have a door to the kitchen, just a narrow(ish) archway.

Advice I have been given is "fit a door", with the alternative being "a sprinkler system might be an acceptable alternative - we are increasingly finding this is the case".

I know next to nothing about domestic sprinkler systems - interested to know if anyone has experience of them, pros/cons (specially cons - my wife is mainly concerned about accidental firing of the sprinkler; I am mainly concerned with some idea about water flow/pressure, because I would prefer to run one from the mains and not a storage tank in the loft).

If it helps.....
current water flow is 15l/min; planned work will take this up to 22l/min
Pressure is about 3bar (from memory - I am much more certain about flow)
single main to the house (and don't want a second main just for a sprinkler system, though I guess this is an option?).

One other thing....search of the web last night revealed a number of installers, and lots of fire safety advice saying that sprinklers are a good thing, but very little technical specification.....

Any advice appreciated

Dave

Sponsored Links
Just one point, when you refer to water flow rates of 15 and 22 litres/minute, don't you really mean an upgrade from 15mm to 22mm pipe? It's just a strange coincidence that the figures match otherwise.

Kevplumb - thanks - I scanned that site yesterday, but digging deeper has helped (a little - clearly an outline design is needed in order to work through some of the calculations)

chrishutt - Figures came from a check on the water flow inside the house (which is currently 15l/min), and then a reading taken directly from my connection to the main outside the house (local water authority did this one). The approach to increase the flow inside is, as you point out, increase the diameter of the pipe between the main and the house.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Dave, I still think your flow figures a bit odd. I can get at least 40 litres/min through my 15mm pipe, at about 3 bar, although the 15mm is a shortish branch off a larger rising main. If you are upgrading, why only aim for 22 litres/min? Not much if you have a mains pressure hot water supply and/or more than one bathroom, not to mention a sprinkler system.

I'll try and find the firms name, but I did speak to one about a sprinkler system, which is accepted for 3 story buildings as an alternative to fire barriers. The water supply required was a 32mm supply to give 60 l/min. Apparently water companies don't like it becasue of the possible demand, though it's only a problem when it's activated. There is also a substantial annual inspection charge.

Thanks for all the help/advice.

I am going to look first at an alternative (basically, move a stud wall in the kitchen, which will (a) increase the floor space and (b) provide me with a space to put a door, between the kitchen and the hall - I hope :)

Will gen up on the sprinklers, though - at first sight anything that improves the chances of surviving a fire is a good thing, though personally prevention is probably best of all!! Main concern is the water flow - thinking back, I have a memory of the engineer from the water board explaining that water flow in my area was quite low - though higher than the statuatory minimum :)

Thanks again - helpful as ever

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back