3rd floor loft conversion requires £11k sprinkler system!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m renovating a 3 storey house in Brixton. I’d like to make it a 4 storey building by converting the loft on the 3rd floor.

My problem is Approved Document B of the Building Regs, sections 2.5 and 2.6. These require any newly-created 4 storey buildings to have either two staircases or fire sprinkler systems THROUGHOUT (ie in every bedroom).

I’ve contacted various misting companies and all their quotes are 11-12k.

This is a bit of a shock and a blow. I’d intended to put steel into the loft to create a bedroom and support the removal of two chimneys.

But with this very high cost it’s just not worth it.

Does anyone have any informed ideas on whether there’s any way around this provision? It’s a single dwelling house.

Thanks in advance
Ray Parlour

Sponsored Links
At what stage are you at? Have you had/were you going to get drawings done? The lowest floor is at ground level presumably not a basement?

Hi. I’ve stripped the house and am currently insulating and decorating. Start on a bathroom tomorrow. ‘Through lounge’ USB being installed end of the month. Here are some floor plans - pre and post work.
85F2B3DD-2B10-4461-8129-942621D05CAD.jpeg
7674FB01-2F79-43B0-A259-3B5B3770AEBC.jpeg

We’ve had a full measured survey and various engineers drawings done but the floor plans explain the issue best.

Sponsored Links
have you read that correctly.

2.21 covers a loft conversion

Loft conversions 2.21 Where a new storey is added through conversion to create a storey above 4.5m, both of the following should apply. a. The full extent of the escape route should be addressed. b. Fire resisting doors (minimum E 20) and partitions (minimum REI 30) should be provided, including upgrading the existing doors where necessary. NOTE: Where the layout is open plan, new partitions should be provided to enclose the escape route (Diagram 2.2).

see https://assets.publishing.service.g...on_incorporating_2020_and_2022_amendments.pdf

Marty - many thanks; I had not read that section. You have just made my day I really appreciate this!

So sections 2.5/2.6 and 2.21 are essentially saying different things… which is a bit confusing. If 2.5/2.6 simply don’t apply because it’s a loft conversion then I guess I’m in the clear

2.5 See Diagram 2.1c. The dwellinghouse should have either of the following. a. Protected stairway – a stair separated by fire resisting construction (minimum REI 30) at all storeys, that complies with one of the following. i. Extends to a final exit (Diagram 2.2a). ii. Gives access to a minimum of two ground level final exits that are separated from each other by fire resisting construction (minimum REI 30) and fire doorsets (minimum E 20) (Diagram 2.2b). Cavity barriers or a fire resisting ceiling (minimum EI 30) should be provided above a protected stairway enclosure (Diagram 2.3).

Basically you can do a protected stairway or a sprinkler or an alternative fire escape.

So a and i would be your solution...

2.5 isn’t the issue - 2.6 is the issue. The proposed loft floor is more than 7.5m above ground, and I’d have two floors above 4.5m. So under 2.6 the loft floor would need a separate escape route or I need sprinklers throughout the property.

Or does this not apply because it’s a loft, and instead 2.21 applies?

Looks to me as though you get to swerve 2.6 etc because you are converting an existing dwelling rather than building a new one. But you would be wise to check with some sort of professional on this scale and risk level of work. Your plan drawer or surveyor may be a useful first port of call

Thanks for your help. I emailed council BC yesterday and am waiting for their reply. The house was built in the 1860s - certainly not a new build:) I hope you’re right

I’m assuming 2.6 formalised that decision into the regs and if that decision were out of date I doubt it’d be on the gov.uk website but let’s see what BC say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back